Friday, 16 December 2011

Fascination and the world's random sentences...

Found a weird and wonderful website, well my daughter was introduced to it at art college...

http://www.wefeelfine.org/

This website takes a sentence from random blogs anywhere around the world and links it to feelings...It brings up a page of floating coloured spots and you can 'catch' a spot and click on it to open one of these random sentences...

There are six different ways  to view the site explained under the title 'Movements'. As someone fascinated by sentences myself I got the most out of 'Murmurs'...


This is how the site itself explains its own concept:
'Every few minutes, the system searches the world's newly posted blog entries for the occurrences of the words 'I feel' and 'I am feeling'. When it finds such a phrase it records the full sentence, and identifies the feeling expressed in that sentence (eg. sad, happy, depressed etc). ...the age, gender, and geographical location of the author can often be extracted and saved...as can the local weather at the time the sentence was written. The result is a database of several million human feelings, increasing by 15,000 - 20,000 new feelings per day.' 

The site's creators Jonathan Harris and Sep Kamvar see this as 'an artwork authored by everyone.'

My daughter blogged about this today and her post has a link to a video explaining the concept: http://bekahcat.blogspot.com/2011/12/we-feel-fine.html

So just to join in... I feel fascinated and moved by eclectic, random thoughts and emotions leaping about my screen from across the world.
Maybe I'll find myself bouncing across the monitor in a few minutes!


No comments:

Post a Comment