Saturday, 11 August 2012

Blogflash: Day Eleven: Greed

Photograph by Lisa Shambrook (please do not use without permission)
Day Eleven: Greed
Flood Part Seven

“Come now sweetheart, stop crying…it could’ve been worse…”
“I don’t see how!”
“I’m okay, you’re okay…”
“What’s your definition of ‘okay’? Look at these bruises and you’ve got a horrible cut on your head and I can’t get you to hospital to see if…”
“I’m fine!  Bruises will go, at least we’re still here.”
“But with no food, no fuel and they took tools too! That wasn’t land you saw in the distance…"
“Civilian pirates and no scruples. That’s what the world is now. Dog-eat-dog.”
“…and we’re the little dog.”
“Come on, please…don’t cry, please don’t cry…”

(97 Words)

9 comments:

  1. Oh no!!!! That is just th epits! I really do feel for this couple; up against it and then the pirates turn up; not the Jack Sparrow type but real, greedy, nasty pirates. . . what next for these two? Again I love the delivery; the story through their conversation. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy how well you tell stories through dialogue. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My inspiration for dialogue was Ruth, thought I'd give it a try!

      Delete
  3. What a disaster for them. You have to feel sympathy for this couple - they really are between a rock and a hard place. There's always someone unscrupulous in the wings just waiting to take what little someone has, giving no thought to the devastation they leave behind.

    I can't help but wonder how they are going to survive this major setback.

    I agree with Lizzie, the delivery through their dialogue is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, no land after all! Hopefully they'll escape the pirates!
    - andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful - you get a real sense of helplessness coming through here and of desperation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Great dialogue, it really tells the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everyone...their adventure continues!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I really felt so hopeful and now I just feel... bereft for them. I really hope they find a way forward.

    ReplyDelete