Saturday, 4 August 2012

Blogflash: Day Four: Busy

Photograph by Lisa Shambrook (Please do not use without permission)
Busy
Sometimes I feel like I’m taking up too much of the pavement, and I make myself even smaller, pulling my holey jumper down over my knees and lacing my fingers tighter around my legs.
I try to be invisible even though I’m screaming to be seen.
I watch feet; I study shoes. Stomping brogues, clip-clopping heels, delicate sandals, cowboy boots, little girls’ T-bars, skyscraper stilettos, boys’ tatty trainers, sensible-for-work flats and flip-flops in the rain all pass me by.
This time it’s a pair of smart knee-highs that knock my nearly-empty, polystyrene cup of pennies flying…and yes, I am invisible.

(100 Words)


Come back tomorrow for Day Five and Part Two of Flood... 

16 comments:

  1. I could almost believe you have experienced that for real.. Nice piece of writing Lisa..x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Rosalind. A very nice piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great piece of writing Lisa.
    Clever take on the prompt - all those busy feet unaware of the poverty and grief that surrounds them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all the previous comments!

    An unusual take on the prompt and very creative. A great piece of writing, Lisa!

    Carlie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - this is so perfect and so gut-wrenching. You did a fantastic job showing the invisibility. A super awesome take on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, very powerful piece Lisa. It sucked me right to that busy street and plopped me next to her shopping cart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the person above me. Dear Lisa, this is a very powerful piece of writing. I feel I know the person speaking and their heartbreak. That first line is a so evocative: sometimes I feel I'm taking up too much pavement.

    This is going in my heart and mind to be alongside the shoes being drawn up under the leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Jo, I'm glad it's up to par with 'Wicked'...I must have something about shoes!

      Delete
  8. The cruel side of busy. . . too busy to notice what is right under your nose. A very powerful piece on the prompt. Well done you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with all of the above, a good reminder that sometimes we should slow down, take a look around & take notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredibly powerful Lisa. A wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so powerful, Lisa! It really pulled at my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Lisa. Very fine writing. Poignant moment--well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you...I'm feeling so inspired right now! Hope it lasts... Your compliments are very appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so drawn in that all that busyness became background noise, until the boots kicked the cup that is

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving the story and I just have to add I am adoring the photography. This is all.

    ReplyDelete