Monday, 13 August 2012

Blogflash: Day Thirteen: Forest

Photograph by Lisa Shambrook (please do not use without permission)
Day Thirteen: Forest
Flood Part Nine

“How long does it take to drift anywhere?”
“How long does it take to drown a planet?”
“Do you know what I miss most?”
“Steak and chips?”
“Ha ha, that’s a man’s answer! You fed up with fish eh? No, I miss trees…”
“Hmmm, that worries me.”
“It does? Why?”
“Look around…no trees, the only vegetation is seaweed. What does that mean for the world? I meant it when I said the planet’s been drowned. No trees, no oxygen, no life.”
On the tranquil ocean only the light splash of rippling waves against the hull broke the imposing silence.

(99 Words)



7 comments:

  1. Their predicament has sudddenly got worse on that last thought . . . Another master class on conversation moving the story along. Well done Lisa. i really am liking your story. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good question, how do they have oxygen without plants? I fear for the answer!
    - andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, the dialogue paints such vivid images of how their situation progresses. It's a worrying thought you've left us with . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good question! I'd be so sad without trees, not just the pesky lack of oxygen thing, but they are so beautiful, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the conversation you crafted.
    This really reminds me of waterworld.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everybody, trying to keep the situation 'real' and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, I love the dialogue. This does open up so many questions about their situation. Lizzie is right, things are worse than I'd imagined too!

    ReplyDelete