Saturday, 10 November 2012

Five Sentence Fiction: Character

Photograph by Bekah Shambrook (Please do not use without permission)

Meg’s throat burned, tears streamed and the wind howled. Her long hair spilled out behind and February’s cold gusts whipped around her legs. Her heart hammered and short, rasping breaths stung as she sucked icy cold air through dry lips. She almost tripped over the tree root, stretched across her path, and her legs felt like they’d give way if she stopped. She didn’t want to stop, but she didn’t want to keep running either. 


This is my opening paragraph introducing you to my protagonist Meg, in my current NaNoWriMo novel. Written for Lillie McFerrin's Five Sentence Fiction, Lillie asked for five sentences about one of our main characters in our NaNoWriMo or WIP... so that was mine!

16 comments:

  1. Outstanding opening parapgraph :) I so want to read more to find out who or what she was running from, great imagery once more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running is a habit Meg's acquired to escape...

      Delete
  2. That is a good opening. Makes you wonder what she's running from and why. No one should complain that it starts off too slowly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always say its best to leap right in...glad you liked it!

      Delete
  3. Intense, Lisa,and I can't wait to read more! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very intense story...there'll be more!

      Delete
  4. That was superb. I was reminded by Daphne du Maurier - but this was way more intense being a five liner opener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I appreciate the comparison!

      Delete
  5. Great way to immediately grab your reader, Lisa! I want to know more about Meg's plight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I wanted to do! Glad you want to know more Jayne!

      Delete
  6. Poor Meg. I like her already.

    You've discovered a sympathetic character in a bad situation.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like her, she's having a tough time!

      Delete
  7. Made me chill with all that description about the icy cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been shivering all through this story...maybe I should have set it in the summer, lol. The chilly atmosphere works with her plight!

      Delete