Sunday, 30 December 2012

12 Days of Christmas: Sun

Going for something different today in the 12 Days of Christmas Blog Hop...back in August I did a 30 day Blogflash and I ended up writing a serial called Flood (See next post for the entire Flood). With today's prompt: Sun, I've gone back to write a prequel:

Photograph by Lisa Shambrook (please do not use without permission)

Sun
“I don’t like this dear…”
“Nor me…”
“When do we go back to land?”
“I don’t know sweetheart.”
“Should we navigate back to shore now, to the marina?”
“Well that was my first idea, but the instruments are playing up…”
“How do you mean?”
“I can’t get anything on screen, and the radio’s not doing anything, it’s just dead. No, stay here, I’m not sure we should go up on deck.”
“Why not? I’ve got a torch.”
“What time would you put us at? Or even what day? The sun’s been gone for days, and all it’s doing is raining…”
“I’ve lost track of the days…”
“It’s Thursday, sweetie. We made it to the boat ahead of the water and we’ve been on the ocean for three days…”
“In darkness.”
“Yes.”
“So where’s the sun?”
“Maybe it decided to stay on the other side of the world…”
“That would explain a lot dear! Three days of darkness…that sounds biblical to me…”
“I don’t think we’ve hit the Armageddon…not yet sweetheart, well I don’t think so, I think there’d be more than just rain, you know fire and brimstone spring to mind…”
“But, three days of darkness…”
“It’s fine, it’ll pass.”
“But why, what’s happened, and why can’t we contact anyone?”
“We did, on Tuesday honey, but the Port Authorities just said stay away from the marina, and conserve fuel, then we lost contact.”
Rain hammered down on the cabin roof and the small boat rocked on the waves.
“So we’re just drifting?”
“We are now…have been for two days.”
“Where are we darling?”
“I just said the panel doesn’t work, I’m getting nothing…”
“Then I’m going up on deck…”
“Careful…”
“Look! I see rays, through the rainclouds, rays!”
“My word! God bless the sunshine!”
“We’re going to live darling!”

(301 words)


Day Six: June - Sun
Read the rest...you won't regret it!

4 comments:

  1. I loved your series in August, so it was nice to read this prequel, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to read the prequel, I too enjoyed the series in August. Just loved how the conversation flowed, so natural :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, essentially, if you ever get tired of writing short stories and novels, it looks like you'll be able to fall back on writing plays or screenplays. You've got a knack for dialogue there, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful look into what came before. Like the ladies said, your conversations feel so natural. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete