Monday, 10 December 2012

Monday Mixer: Impasse

This is my first go at The Latinum Vault's Monday Mixer. The rules are to write a piece in 150 words no more, no less, using at least three of the prompt words. So here we go...

Photograph by Lisa Shambrook (please do not use without permission)

When the mineshaft blew explosions echoed down the corridors, ringing off the walls and Linten wondered if escape had ever been an option. Unbuckling his helmet to ease the clanging reverberation, he grabbed the hilt of his tulwar brandishing the sabre as he stared into the gloom. 
“Light!” he demanded gruffly, spitting dust out of his mouth, and the little moth on his shoulder burst into flames. Linten’s eyes darted about the impasse and fine particles of pulverised rock settled in the crypt, dusting his armour. 
He spoke, his voice echoing, “That’s enough!” He didn’t want to extinguish his moth’s intrinsic luminosity, not when it might be needed again.  Its flames died away and it fluttered nervously.
“Okay…” he spoke softly now, “let’s see if this'll work…” and he pulled a fast fading evanescent stone from his battered leather pouch. “She said a wish, just one…and I need it now!”

(150 Words)

See more great Monday Mixer entries.

3 comments:

  1. It may be your First time but boy is it a good one :) I'm loving the idea of a little moth that can light the way by bursting into flames - such a great image. I do hope the stone works :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Laura!! This is a terrific first showing!! Leaves me with so many questions!! Plus, now I am daydreaming about a little light bearing moth riding around on my shoulder!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura and Ruth! And I got a Best use of Prompts' award for this! Whoop whoop...I'll have to come back to this one, one day!

    ReplyDelete