Saturday, 12 January 2013

Five Sentence Fiction: Inspire


She’d sailed the seven seas, single-handed, in a tin boat, thwarting pirates and sea monsters…and huge octopus, tentacled things.
She’d prepared banquets for lords and ladies, with the finest of menu’s written in glittering gold on the finest emerald paper, with cupcakes and chocolate dessert.
She had conquered the final frontier, flown amid the stars in the cockpit of her silver rocket, discovering new planets and greeting aliens in green.
She married Prince Charming and climbed the castle’s crumbling tower, and proclaimed her love and devotion to her loyal subjects below.
“Time’s up sweetie!” came the call, and her mother wandered up the garden path gathering teddies and dolls up into the old tin bath, chuckling at the soggy mud-pies sitting atop gold-glittered leaves,  and she called her daughter down from the tree, smiling at her tattered wings and the happy-tired grin on her face. 

Take a look at the other entries...

18 comments:

  1. This was delightful, I love how you capture the imagination and delight of the little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my early childhood in the back garden...wild imagination!

      Delete
  2. Ah, to be young again... I remember having my own rocket ship once. Excellent piece, and thanks for bringing back those memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to lose adult responsibility for a bit would be lovely!

      Delete
  3. Aww, that was so nice. Sometimes you wish you could get back in touch with that kind of imagination don't you? Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I was her... A lovely story for a lovely young lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! My whole childhood was spent in imagination games. Nothing is beyond grasp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Millie, my childhood too! Sandra and Honore, I think that imagination is why I write!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful is definitely the right word. Nothing rivals the imagination of a child. If I could only recapture that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could if you tried, lol! Thanks for commenting Andy!

      Delete
  8. You perfectly put into words the magic of a child's imagination, and how real it feels when you're playing make-believe. I love the picture too! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture's my daughter when we were playing fairies in the woods out the back! We did a cute photoshoot, and she's about six years older now!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful. And I love that pic.

    In a field near my house there was a tree that I played in. I was a space ship, among other things.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than playing inside your imagination with nature, thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. Oh I love it! Imagination is a true gift isn't it? You just have to make sure you don't lose it as you get older ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest thing I ever did for my children was to help them foster an active imagination! Thanks for commenting Janelle!

      Delete
  11. This is extremely cute! Childhood play and imagination is just wonderful and you've captured the magic here beautifully. xxx

    ReplyDelete