Monday, 5 August 2013

Monday Mixer: A Somnolent Surprise...

Photograph by Bekah Shambrook (Please do not use)

A Somnolent Surprise

I sighed, dandelion clocks, the bane of my life, no sooner than I eradicated every blighter, an errant, fluffy orb emerged in the grass. So, with billhook en garde, I moved carefully. Any breath, the faintest zephyr, and seeds would fly.    
I slipped to my knees, leaned close, and just as the knife touched the stem, the seed-head blenched
I stared, shaking my head, my insular world blown in one fell swoop. 
Parachuting seeds scattered as another sigh left my lips, this one a gale in the world of the tiny winged creature clinging to the dandelion stem. As I stared, thoughts flew, each more fantastical than the next. Bold flashing eyes gazed back, and I watched as the fairy unsheathed a tiny sword. Unable to resist, I leaned closer and the diminutive blade, emitting a somnolent hum, pierced my eye…  “Why, you…little…” and my legs collapsed as I yawned…

(150 Words)


Decided that less is more for this week's Monday Mixer at The Latinum Vault, though I've still incorporated five words, so Over Achiever still possible... Go and take a look at the other entries...see how many words you can weave into a 150 word exact tale!

12 comments:

  1. Will it all be a dream when she wakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's a turn I didn't consider...but a good one!

      Delete
  2. Loved your word choices and dandelions are the bane of my life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dandelions...everywhere! I send my youngest out to nip the heads off them when they flower and pay her by the sandcastle bucket load!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a gardener and love dandelions when they're all white and fluffy (sorry). Cheeky little fairy too which I adore. Another gorgeous piece with a fun ending . . of sorts ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the seedheads, but don't get too many as they seem to spread through my garden like wildfire!

      Delete
  4. That reminds me - I have to spray the yard with some Fairy-B-Gone.

    This is one of those bits that could actually work into a longer story - it sort of flashed through my head as I was reading this.

    Very nice! And it used some of the words I had a problem with - like "blenched".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it could have the bones of a larger story... and I really liked the word 'blenched'! :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The fairy was pivotal...brought it all together!

      Delete